What better way to get to know someone than by reading their answers to a ridiculously long survey? Here are my responses to 100 questions. I’ll try to bug Steve into doing this same list soon!
1 Who is your hero? My dad
2 If you could live anywhere, where would it be? Somewhere in Washington
3 What is your biggest fear? To be convicted of a crime I didn’t commit
4 What is your favorite family vacation? San Antonio riverwalk
5 What would you change about yourself if you could? My weight
6 What really makes you angry? When people disrespect others
7 What motivates you to work hard? A desire to make a difference and accomplish things before my time on earth is over
8 What is your favorite thing about your career? The freedom to be creative and choose my own projects
9 What is your biggest complaint about your job? Cuts into my time to write
10 What is your proudest accomplishment? Anytime my life lines up with the principles of the Bible
11 What is your child’s proudest accomplishment? I ain’t got no childs!
12 What is your favorite book to read? The Bible (yeah yeah, cliché, but true)
13 What makes you laugh the most? My friends
14 What was the last movie you went to? What did you think? Suicide Squad. Thought it was a complete mess.
15 What did you want to be when you were small? A writer
16 What does your child want to be when he/she grows up? This again? Rub it in why don’t you, survey? We get it, Aaron’s in his thirties and still single!
17 If you could choose to do anything for a day, what would it be? Maybe play in a major league baseball game
18 What is your favorite game or sport to watch and play? Baseball
19 Would you rather ride a bike, ride a horse, or drive a car? Car. Horses and I don’t get along and bikes are a lot of work.
20 What would you sing at Karaoke night? We Built This City by Starship
21 What two radio stations do you listen to in the car the most? Christian talk radio. 90.3 and… whatever the other one is. 91.9? I don’t know. They’re on presets!
22 Which would you rather do: wash dishes, mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, or vacuum the house? Vacuum. Dishes are awful, bathroom is gross, and it’s hot outside.
23 If you could hire someone to help you, would it be with cleaning, cooking, or yard work? Cleaning, for sure.
24 If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? The Breakfast Sampler at IHOP is pretty legit.
25 Who is your favorite author? Robert A. Heinlein
26. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it? Yes. Egghead.
27. Do you like or dislike surprises? Why or why not? I say I dislike them but in reality I think I like them more than I let on.
28. In the evening, would you rather play a game, visit a relative, watch a movie, or read? Can’t we do all of the above? If picking just one, I tend to watch movies/TV to unwind, so that’s likely what I’d be doing.
29. Would you rather vacation in Hawaii or Alaska, and why? Alaska. Fewer volcanoes, fewer sharks.
30. Would you rather win the lottery or work at the perfect job? And why? Perfect job. The lottery seems like a curse for most people who win it. Plus, anytime I’m not working hard I tend to feel depressed.
31. Who would you want to be stranded with on a deserted island? Tom Hanks. He probably has great stories.
32. If money was no object, what would you do all day? Write.
33. If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to? 1994. I’d give my younger self a pep-talk about actually applying himself in life instead of waiting 20 years to start getting serious about doing something worthwhile.
34. How would your friends describe you? Kind and reliable, hopefully.
35. What are your hobbies? Writing, reading, watching TV/movies, videogames
36. What is the best gift you have been given? A handmade wrestling ring my grandpa made me when I was a kid. It was awesome and a perfect fit for all of my WWF wrestlers.
37. What is the worst gift you have received? I got a little stool that spun around and opened up and could be used for storage once for Christmas. I was like 6.
38. Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without? I was gonna say God but for me He is a necessity. Uh, I don’t know, the internet? Is that a necessity? I hate when the internet is down.
39. List two pet peeves. Computer problems and when people visibly and actively lose interest when you’re talking and their eyes grow dim and they just stop paying attention.
40. Where do you see yourself in five years? No idea. Working hard, trying to live as an example of Jesus’ love.
41. How many pairs of shoes do you own? One.
42. If you were a super-hero, what powers would you have? Teleportation. It pretty much trumps all other powers.
43. What would you do if you won the lottery? Cut the mother of all tithe checks to my church and then buy my parents some land and a house
44. What form of public transportation do you prefer? (air, boat, train, bus, car, etc.) Trains are neat, so let’s do that.
45. What’s your favorite zoo animal? I hate zoos, for the record, but if I have to pick I’ll pick something in the water. Giant turtles?
46. If you could go back in time to change one thing, what would it be? I tend to take the whole “can’t mess with the timeline approach” so I probably wouldn’t change anything.
47. If you could share a meal with any 4 individuals, living or dead, who would they be? Jesus, Greg Laurie, Peter (from the Bible), Hezekiah.
48. How many pillows do you sleep with? 1 giant pillow.
49. What’s the longest you’ve gone without sleep (and why)? 28 hours. Because I was away from home and I’m a baby who can’t sleep away from home.
50. What’s the tallest building you’ve been to the top in? No clue. I had a job interview on the 30th floor of a building once. Probably that.
51. Would you rather trade intelligence for looks or looks for intelligence? Looks for intelligence. If I got smart enough I could find a way to manufacture looks, but if I was only goodlooking I’d have no hope of manufacturing intelligence. Eat that, question 51.
52. How often do you buy clothes? Very rarely. Like, maybe once a year.
53. Have you ever had a secret admirer? Got a creepy email once, does that count?
54. What’s your favorite holiday? Christmas. It’s just the best!
55. What’s the most daring thing you’ve ever done? Given up control of my life and started living for Jesus. It’s scary sometimes but such a rewarding adventure.
56. What was the last thing you recorded on TV? I cut the cord last year, I’m a Netflix guy now.
57. What was the last book you read? The Somnambulist? I remember liking it but thinking it was weird.
58. What’s your favorite type of foreign food? Do tacos count?
59. Are you a clean or messy person? Messy. I wish it wasn’t true, but it is.
60. Who would you want to play you in a movie of your life? I feel vaguely judged by this question, because if I don’t pick a fat actor everyone who knows me will roll their eyes. I think Russel Crowe could pull off a good Aaron Hall, and he’s been pudgy in a few movies, so I’ll pick him.
61. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? 8 minutes.
62. What kitchen appliance do you use every day? Fridge? Microwave gets used a lot, I guess, but not daily.
63. What’s your favorite fast food chain? Taco Bueno
64. What’s your favorite family recipe? Not sure we have one. My mom makes delicious sausage biscuits, though.
65. Do you love or hate rollercoasters? Love/hate relationship.
66. What’s your favorite family tradition? Gathering on Christmas Eve.
67. What is your favorite childhood memory? Being with my Grandma. She died when I was young but she was my favorite person.
68. What’s your favorite movie? Inception. Or Rocky 4.
69. How old were you when you learned Santa wasn’t real? How did you find out? I reject this question because my mom says that if we stop believing in Santa he’ll stop bringing us stuff and so I still believe. Yes, I’m in my thirties, shut up.
70. Is your glass half full or half empty? Never even met a half empty glass.
71. What’s the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of love? Proposed to a girl because I was young and dumb and loved her and thought I was supposed to propose.
72. What three items would you take with you on a deserted island? Bible, bo staff, acoustic guitar
73. What was your favorite subject in school? English/writing
74. What’s the most unusual thing you’ve ever eaten? I’m the opposite of an adventurous eater. One time I ate a burger that my cousin’s great uncle cooked, that was pretty unusual tasting.
75. Do you collect anything? Computer games. I have over 400 and I have no time to play any of them.
76. Is there anything you wished would come back into fashion? Respect in general. People used to respect their elders, men used to be chivalrous, I wish all that would come back into fashion.
77. Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Introvert all the way.
78. Which of the five senses would you say is your strongest? Sight? I don’t know, weird question.
79. Have you ever had a surprise party? (that was an actual surprise) Nope.
80. Are you related or distantly related to anyone famous? There’s an r&b singer who has my same name. But… no.
81. What do you do to keep fit? Lol. Ask again next year, I’m working on it.
82. Does your family have a “motto” – spoken or unspoken? My brother and I do. “Always back your brother’s play.” It’s from the movie Tombstone.
83. If you were ruler of your own country what would be the first law you would introduce? Something that honors God.
84. Who was your favorite teacher in school and why? Woody Winn. Encouraged me as a writer and as a young man.
85. What three things do you think of the most each day? Uh, I don’t know. God, food, writing? Friends and family?
86. If you had a warning label, what would yours say? Work in progress.
87. What song would you say best sums you up? I could waste all day trying to come up with the perfect answer to this question, so I’m just gonna say “Footloose”.
88. What celebrity would you like to meet at Starbucks for a cup of coffee? Aaron Sorkin. Guy writes dialog like a king.
89. Who was your first crush? Counselor Troi from Start Trek: TNG.
90. What’s the most interesting thing you can see out of your office or kitchen window? Walking bridge across a creek, I people watch all day long.
91. On a scale of 1-10 how funny would you say you are? In comfortable settings with good friends I’d say I’m like an 8. Day to day, probably a 6.
92. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Working hard, trying to spread the good news of Jesus.
93. What was your first job? Grocery store cashier.
94. If you could join any past or current music group which would you want to join? Van Halen as their bass player.
95. How many languages do you speak? One.
96. What is your favorite family holiday tradition? Driving around looking at Christmas lights.
97. Who is the most intelligent person you know? Jon Dugdale. He’s a teacher at my church, an author, inventor, just a great all around guy.
98. If you had to describe yourself as an animal, which one would it be? The one Napoleon Dynamite invented. A Liger.
99. What is one thing you will never do again? Walk away from following God.
100. Who knows you the best? My best friend Chris. We’ve been hanging out pretty much daily for 20 years straight.